Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cheese Cakes - not what you expect!

I am not sure if this is a New Zealand recipe or not, but I've never seen or heard of them anywhere else. These are a small cupcake with a jam filling and a pastry base - not at all what you would expect a cheese cake to be.

My mum used to buy these as a treat for my brother and I from the local bakery in St Martins, Christchurch (which is sadly no longer there).  I always have lovely memories of my mum and my childhood whenever I eat them.

Give them a try - they are delicious!

Cheese Cakes

200 g flaky pastry (1 ½ sheets)
3 T raspberry jam
125 g butter, softened
½ c sugar
1 c plain flour
1 t baking powder
2 eggs, beaten


1. Preheat oven to 200ºC.


2. Place sugar and butter in a mixing bowl.


3. Sift flour and baking powder in a separate mixing bowl.


4. Beat eggs together in small jug or bowl with a fork or whisk.


5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 2 mm thick.


6. Cut out rounds, using a scone or biscuit cutter and use to line patty tins (or muffin tins).


7. Place ½ t of jam in each pastry case.


8. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.


9. Add sifted flour/baking powder to creamed mixture alternatively with beaten eggs.


10. Stir to mix.


11. Drop large spoonfuls of mixture into each pastry case.


12. Bake at 200ºC for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - I've been looking for this recipe everywhere! Mum used to make them for my siblings and I. :)

    ReplyDelete