Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cinnamon Pinwheel Scones - take a walk down memory lane!

I think most people my age who have lived in New Zealand have made these scones at some point in their Food Tech (or Home Economics) past.


They are very easy and super yummy.  Even if they go a bit wonky while they are cooking, they will still be delicious.

These are also a low-cost treat to make on the weekends.  If there are any left the next day (highly unlikely), warm them in the microwave for 15 seconds.

Cinnamon Pinwheel Scones

Ingredients


3 c plain flour
6 t baking powder
¼ t salt
50 g butter
1 ¼ c milk

Topping


¼ c brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
50 g soft butter or margarine


1. Collect all equipment and ingredients before starting to cook.

2. Preheat oven to 220°C.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.


4. Cut or rub in butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.


5. Add milk and mix quickly to a soft dough with a knife.


6. Lightly knead the dough.


7. Roll out dough into a rectangle 1 cm thick.

8. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter/margarine together.
9. Spread butter mix over the surface of the dough.

10. Starting from the long edge, roll the dough into a log.
11. Cut the log into 2 cm pieces

12. Place each scone, cut side up on the baking tray.  Place the scones close together, nearly touching

13. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the scones are cooked and golden brown.

5 comments:

  1. I think pinwheels have always been a favorite with my children and you have reminded me of how much I miss them. I will have to make some for my grandchildren to try. Thank you so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I love about this is how wonderful it smells inside the oven when I baI saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!ke them.The house smells wonderful with cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for the cinnamon pin wheel recipe that I was taught to make in my high school home economics class in New York, USA in the early 60's. At home, my mom and big sister used to ask me to bake some for them. Off I would go into the kitchen and pretty soon we were eating them hot out of the oven. Oddly enough his sounds like the exact same recipe! I guess good food is universal. Cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's interesting you were making them in the US! They are definitely the classic Home Ed class dish! You can also substitute the cinnamon for 2 tablespoons of dessicated coconut and make coconut pinwheels :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so AMAZING I am 14 years old and I made these at school they are the best things ever thankyou so much for putting this recipe up they are the BEST pinwheel scones I have ever had EVER 10/10

    ReplyDelete